Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hiding the Word in Your Heart


I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:10-11



   How do you know whether the decisions you are making are godly (of God) or not? How do you know if the things you are doing are in God's will? How do you keep from sinning? By hiding God's word in your heart!!! I can't stress the importance of memorizing scripture enough. Jesus told the Sadducees in Matthew 22:29, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God." This is something that I've been working on and I know it is an ongoing process. Lord, my memory is the worst! So y'all pray for me and we will work together on this one. Although I have to study a little harder than most to memorize scriptures, I know it is of utmost importance. Here's why:

  • Gives us godly wisdom - People often ask me how does God speak to me. Like... can I hear him? What does His voice sound like? Etc... Well one way that God speaks to us is through His word found in scripture! It is true, eternal, and live! When we memorize scriptures, we have God's word readily available when needed to respond to situations, make decisions, or to even convict us when we do something we know we ain't got no business. Example: Let's say you are at work and you've been given an extra assignment or one you are not sure you can get done. You've been studying Philippians 4:13 all week and you remember I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. So you go forth and do your best. That is God speaking to you through His word and comforting you. That is godly wisdom; it's what we know as our conscience, but replaced with the word of God instead of what we think.
  • Helps us to witness to others - By memorizing scriptures we are able to share them with others and help them in their situations or possibly introduce someone to the love of Jesus.
  • Teaches us how to pray - When we pray, we should be praying according to God's will. Well... how do we know what God's will is, if we do not know His word?
  • Equips us for spiritual warfare- I am not the only one that wakes up with an attitude sometimes and everything in the world gets on my nerves. I know I'm not. :) On those days, I feel the enemy attacking me and I am able to defeat his deception not only with my spiritual armor, but with God's word of reassurance hidden in my heart. Sometimes I have to repeat scriptures I've memorized to myself throughout the day.
  • Tells you what you believe - I know this seems like common sense, but seriously, without having the word hidden in our heart do we really know what we believe? If you met someone of a different belief could you defend your beliefs by what the word tells us regarding their being only one way to the Father? (John 14:6) Or about how to receive salvation? (1 John 1:9)
  • Transforms our thinking - The more we know the more we grow! By memorizing scripture it overall transforms the way we think about things. It changes the meditation of our hearts and we begin to think about those things that are of the Kingdom. (Romans 12:2)
  • Forces us to spend time with God - Time with God is so essential in our growth as Christians and in our walk. (more later) But if we dedicate time to memorize scripture we are spending time with Jesus as we hide Him in our heart. Jesus is the word and the truth so when we make time to memorize scripture we are inviting Him in!
There are several ways to memorize scripture and of course we all learn differently. I've made scripture memory note cards. I just purchased a .99cent package of note cards, wrote the passage on one side, and where the scripture is found on the other side. They are spread all over my house! I've found that it is good to focus on one scripture a week or so before moving on. (Great advice from my sis, D'Lorah!) There are also scripture memorization apps available. I use one called Remember Me (Android based). But you should do whatever works best for your learning style! This is a convenient way to study them while sitting in traffic, in the doctor's office, or anytime you have downtime and your phone is in your hand. Instead of scrolling through Facebook when killing time, go to your scripture app. I will list a few scriptures below that may be good ones to start with and if you have some you would like to suggest, please post them in the comments! Typically, I use the NIV when memorizing scripture and studying, but it is always good to cross reference with the KJV. I pray that they bless you and God gives us all the mental capacity to memorize His word.

Love you!
- Kimyatta

  


Daily Prayer: Heavenly Father, please help me to remember Your word. Help me to eliminate all distractions as I focus on hiding Your word in my heart. Lord, thank you for your word. It is the truth, the light, and the way and I'm grateful for your eternal instruction.

Scripture to Study: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the servant of god may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17


Suggested scriptures to memorize:

  1. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
  2. 2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
  3. John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
  4. Philipians 4:13 I can do all things through him who gives me strength.
  5. Philipians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of the glory in Christ Jesus.
  6. Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. 
  7. Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
  8. Proverbs 3:6 In all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.  
  9. Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
  10. Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
  11. Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
  12. 1 Chronicles 16:11 Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
  13. Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp for my feet; a light on my path.
  14. John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.
  15. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
  16. Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
  17. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do; do it all for the glory of God.
  18. Ephesians 6:17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
  19. Colossians 3:5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry.
  20. Matthew 22:37-39 Jesus replied, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. 38.)This is the first and greatest commandment. 39.) A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment